Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Banana Cake (or Cupcakes)

This is a recipe I found on VegNews.com and tried this week.  It was delicious!  I made some tweaks, the most notable being that I made cupcakes instead of one cake (to facilitate easier dissemination at the office!)

My changes are in parentheses and italics.

Thanks to Dana Villamagna for the great recipe!

Island Banana Cake

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4933&catId=10

Makes one cake
What You Need:
For the cake:
1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup ripe manzanos bananas, mashed (I used regular bananas)
1/4 cup vegan sour cream (because I can't find vegan sour cream in stores here, I made my own using a recipe I found on google; essentially silken tofu, lemon juice, salt, and a dash of apple cider vinegar)
1 tablespoon egg replacer, mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla


For the frosting: (I found this frosting too sweet for my taste, so I only "zigzagged" it across the cupcakes instead of slathering it all over. I used an icing bag, but you can also use a ziplock bag with the tip cut off to squeeze the icing out.)
1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons soymilk
1 teaspoon vanilla


What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x12-inch pan. For the cake, in a large bowl or electric mixer, beat margarine and sugar until smooth.

2. In another bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour into sugar mixture and stir gently. Stir in bananas, sour cream, egg-replacer mixture, and vanilla. Pour into pan and bake 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.

3. For the frosting, in a bowl or electric mixer, blend frosting ingredients until a thick, spreadable consistency is reached. Frost cake completely and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment