Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Staples for Your Kitchen

A faithful and beautiful reader (ok it was my mom) pointed out to me this week that a lot of these recipes seem to have a LOT of ingredients, and even though I say they’re easy, anything with a lot of ingredients looks daunting.  Point taken.  But I really truly believe these are EASY recipes for the most part because there are certain staple ingredients which I always have on hand.  I suspect most vegans or vegetarians have these kinds of food, but I thought I would make a list of staples and post here in case any of you are wondering what kinds of things I like to have on hand at any given recipe-inspiration moment.  So here they are – things I would urge anyone interested in a slightly less meaty/more vegetarian diet should have in their pantry:
Sauces/wet:
Soy sauce
Maple syrup
Rice vinegar
Dijon mustard
Sesame oil
Olive oil
Sunflower oil
Agave syrup
Coconut milk
Soy, almond, or other non-dairy milk

Grains:
Brown rice
Quinoa
Couscous
Risotto rice
Wheatberries

Baking:
Wheat flour
Raw sugar
Flax seeds (and something to grind them with like a coffee bean grinder;  these can be used as a substitute for eggs in vegan baking)
Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
Dark chocolate chips
Raisins
Nuts
Baking powder
Baking soda
Sea salt
Margarine
Arrowroot powder (for thickening sauces)
Peanut butter
Silken tofu
Oats

Fresh:
Garlic
Onions
Ginger
Scallions

Vegan staples:
Smoked extra firm tofu
Tempeh
Seitan
Cans of beans
Lentils

No comments:

Post a Comment