Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Original: Thai Peanut Noodles

For my very first post, I thought I'd give a tiny bit of background as to why I created this blog, and then in future posts I promise to keep it to the recipes and keep the rambling to a minimum. 

I have always loved to cook and bake but got much more into it the last couple years.  It was even more fun when I moved in with my lahhhvahhh and could cook food for 2, which is infinitely more fun than food for one.  (Yay validation!)  As a New Years resolution I decided to eat a vegan diet when not on vacation, which means everything I ever cook is vegan.  Which means I have read hundreds of vegan blogs, books, websites, and articles by people even more sanctimonious than me! (And blogs by truly wonderful, snarky, intellectual people who don't a hoot if you are vegan or not.)

So.  Because I have tried SO many recipes, both things I created and things I swiped from inspired vegans around me, I have done a lot of research which I hate to go to waste.  And quite a few people have started asking me for recipes, perhaps because Meatless Mondays are gaining popularity or perhaps because I am a beautiful culinary genius.  It's impossible to know.  Either way, I plan to post only the VERY BEST recipes which I love or I get asked for frequently here, and only ones which I have personally tested and find outstanding.  If I didn't create the recipe, I will have a notation stating that.  And for the first recipe, there was really no contest.... 

Thai Peanut Noodles with scallions and black sesame seeds

Thai Peanut Noodles
This is a super-delicious, creamy, flavorful Thai dish that I have honed over the years.  It is ALWAYS a hit and if you have leftovers, they reheat well in the microwave with a dash of extra water, soy sauce, or sesame oil to moisten them up.
Serves 4-6 as an entree, but also good as leftovers!

Ingredients:
-1 lb. noodles of choice (I like kamut or whole wheat linguine or spaghetti.  Glass noodles are too fragile for this.  Or soba noodles could work too!)
-2 tbsp. sesame oil
-3 tbsp. peanut oil
-1 tbsp fresh minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
-4 scallions, chopped finely
-1-3 tbsp. chili sauce of your choice (I like sambal oelek, but Sriracha works too)
-1 inch piece freshly chopped ginger or 1 tsp. ginger powder
-3-4 tbsp. brown sugar
-1 cup peanut butter (I like natural chunky)
-6 tbsp. rice vinegar (white vinegar can work in a pinch)
-6 tbsp. soy sauce (or tamari if gluten free)
-12 tbsp. hot water from pasta pot
-sesame seeds
-extra scallions chopped for serving
-roasted peanuts for serving (optional)

Mixing the sauce with the drained noodles

Method:
1. Make pasta as per directions on package.  When done, pour into a bowl with the sesame oil and toss to coat so it doesn't stick.  You should make pasta simultaneously while making sauce because you will need some of the boiling pasta water for the sauce.
2. In a saucepan over low heat, mix peanut oil, ginger, garlic, chili sauce, and scallions.  Heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add brown sugar and stir until melted together.  Add peanut butter and stir until creamy and mixed.  Add soy sauce and rice vinegar and stir until creamy.  Add hot water and stir until blended.
4. Pour hot peanut sauce over noodles in bowl.  Mix.  Serve and top with sesame seeds and fresh scallions (and peanuts if using).  If you like it EXTRA hot, put a little more chili sauce on top when serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment